Sunday, September 13, 2009

Friday, September 11
{254/365} Eight years ago today I was seven months pregnant with Emily. At about 8:50am, I dragged my tired butt into the bathroom and turned on the radio. A silly, loud sports show was on and those bozos were talking about a plane flying into one of WTC buildings. Who would joke about that? Dopes. On the off chance they weren't joking I turned on my TV and all I saw was "snow" on all of the local stations. My heart completely sunk. I then tuned in to CNN moments before the second plane hit. I will NEVER forget the insanity of that day, trying to locate my family via phone calls. I was scared and nauseous and completely in shock, wondering if this was just a nightmare and we would all wake up soon. I couldn't forget if I tried. Today, I'm sitting here as I do each year, watching the names as they are read. It's my way of reflecting on the day and mourning with those who lost family and friends. I have such respect and appreciation for those who protect us, those who ran into the buildings while others struggled to get out. An image burnt into my mind forever. I called Manhattan my home for seven years and part of me will always be the "city girl" I once was. Eight years later yet my feelings of profound sadness haven't changed. I'll cry as I always do and pray that my children will never experience the horror that we experienced that day.

1 comment:

ScrapMomOf2 said...

I cannot believe that it's been 8 years. The loss of lives that day is unimaginable!