Saturday, July 11, 2009

Saturday, July 11
{192/365} When I visited the Liberty Science Center on Monday I was particularly interested in the "Skyscraper!" exhibit. There were many gigantic photos of various skyscrapers throughout the country as well as descriptions of each one. As I walked throughout the dim room, one giant rusted steel beam stopped me in my tracks. Below was the following description..."The City, The Nation And The World, Remember The Twin Towers. Many people have found ways to commemorate the towers and the people who died there. Some collect stories about the WTC, both before and after 9/11. They offer a way to connect and grieve with those who have suffered. Others remember and celebrate the beauty and excitement that the towers brought to the city for nearly 30 years". I stood there staring and thinking about how empty that skyline was when we drove in. Manhattan was my home for so long and I had visited those towers so many times. I got that familiar lump in my throat, the one I had that day almost 8 years ago and so many times after. Then I turned a corner to witness a steel column completely bent as if it were a pipe cleaner. It served as a support for one of the towers and completely took my breath away. At about 3am this morning I came up with an idea. I've wanted to do a 9/11 project for some time now, writing down my memories and adding photos that I collected at that time. I worked a scrapbook up in my mind and when I woke up this morning I jotted down some notes and a quick sketch. I need my children to understand what happened that day and why it was so significant.... I think it's important. Then it occurred to me. How interesting would it be to encourage others to do the same? I feel inspired by those words written below that beam and I hope others will as well. (I started a new blog for this project...Creative Reflections of 9/11...come do a project with me!)

1 comment:

ScrapMomOf2 said...

I'll check out your new blog. I have never been to New York, and obviously then, I had never seen the towers in person. However, as an American, my heart hurt that day. It was just awful watching the coverage on TV and wondering why. It's hard to believe that this happened in 2001. It's hard to believe that it will be 8 years this year. It's unbelievable to think that our children will study this in school and hear about the worst terrorist attack that happened on U.S. soil. It's just sad. It's just overwhelming, and it's just something that no one will ever forget!