Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tuesday, February 10
{41/365} When Liam was 9 1/2 months old we went in for some routine vaccinations. Later that afternoon he had a seizure and things have never been the same. Luckily his MRI and EEG were fine, but something definitely happened. He started talking at an early age and lost all of his words. His "normal" development seemed to have halted and suddenly we were taking two steps back. Could it be Autism or simply a developmental delay? I needed to help him and decided to get started on early intervention at the end of November. Since then I've been playing the waiting game and drowning in a sea of paperwork. Tomorrow we finally have the last evaluation and we'll be told when the therapy will officially begin. My head is ready...I know this is the right thing to do and in the long run it will benefit my son. My heart on the other hand is breaking ever so slightly worrying about what is to come. I know he will be OK but I'm sad that he has to go through what could be a long and challenging process.

5 comments:

ScrapMomOf2 said...

OK, my heart just beat crazily for a moment, because this post terrifies me . . . I've heard that sometimes children have a reaction to "routine" vaccinations. At the time that my girls were little, I had NEVER heard of such a thing. It's only in the last few years that I'm hearing about this. That's what Jenny McCarthy was talking about with her son. And, Holly Robinson Peete. SCARY! As a mom, I can imagine how awful this must be for you. Not knowing is awful. Not having gone through this myself, I can only say HUGE hugs to you. I hope that anything and everything you find out is GOOD news.

Angela said...

Big hugs to you!!! My youngest regressed in her speech at 15 months old. I had to fight for her for months to get her covered in early intervention. She is 5 1/2 now and is ready to be dismissed from speech!! I'll be praying for you.

Luann said...

Check your e-mail.

Kristi said...

Hang in there! Both of my kids have special needs in varying degrees, and it can take a lot of time, patience and repeats to feel like you are making any headway.

Stephanie said...

I'll be praying for you.