Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wednesday, January 14

{14/365} My sweet "Golden Girl". Riley. Her nose turned pink years ago and her face turned white at a young age. She has one pink pad under her front paw and an odd black dot on her lip. She has epilepsy and takes medication (that she hates) each day. She's had two knee surgeries to repair torn ACLs and has a strange scar in her right eye. Every so often she enjoys a nice piece of cardboard...or paper towel...or plastic wrapper....or baby wipe. I've had to call poison control at least 10 times in the past 8 1/2 years. She jumps (a lot) and licks (walls and people-a lot) and barks (a lot). She spends half the day on her back, hoping for a "drive by" belly rub. All of this said, she is my fur baby, my buddy, my joy. She is the first thing I see in the morning and the last thing I see at night...and all day in between. She is loyal and protective and gentle. With both kids, those middle of the night feedings were less exhausting with Riley there to offer encouragement. When my dad died, when I was going through years of infertility treatments...she never let me cry alone. I often look at her with tears in my eyes wondering what I will do without her one day. I'll be lost and heartbroken. In the meantime, I'm so thankful that this crazy, furry creature is in my life and I show my appreciation with many of those "drive by" belly rubs!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love your "drive by" belly rub comment, that is a great way to put it. My Riley positions herself the same way all the time, from now on I'm sure I'll think of it the same way.

It's amazing how much a part of our lives pets become. I never expected to get so attached to her, but she melted my heart the second I saw her, and just like yours, she is there for all of lives ups and downs.

ScrapMomOf2 said...

Wonderful writing! I love it! Riley is adorable! Dogs add so much and ask for little in return! Princess is a wonderful dog, and I just love her so much!

Scrapronicity said...

I write too much!! I know I have the longest journaling but I start and I can't stop. I never like to forget details but I suspect moving forward I won't have as much to say. Maybe! LOL ;)